Jul4

Finnair Masters LogoWell well that’s another week gone by. The year is absolutely flying past, and im enjoying every minute of it. This week we were off to Finland for the Finnair Masters.

Last week we had the week of which I spent with Darren and my parents in England. I was fortunate enough to get to Wimbledon on the opening day, which I absolutely loved. I cant get enough of watching professional tennis, and especially at Wimbledon. So that was lots of fun, but of course, sad to see my parents go home!

This week was always going to be fun, as we were staying with friends of friends (The Jalonen family) in Helsinki, Finland. We were sure made feel right at home, and it did help that they were insisting on taking us out on the jetski! Darren didn’t want to go to the golf course!

Enough of the fun, now to the serious stuff… the golf! I was feeling pretty good leading into this event, like I said, we had the week off, but I felt I got lots of good practice in ready for the week.

The course I felt suited me if my ball striking was on. It required a lot of placement off the tees, and some good par 3’s.  Practice rounds and Pro-Am went well and was looking forward to round 1. This was a 3 round event. I didn’t hit it well the first day, was struggling to hold things together, and signed for a +1. This to be honest I was happy with, as I felt my ball striking was somewhat off!

Round 2 things got a little better, and I guess I made the most of a few opportunity’s I had, and then totalled at -1 for the day, and even for the tournament. This put me in T22nd going into the last day. There was still alot to play for, LGU were giving out 3 places in the British Open for the 3 top players who were not already exempt. This was in the back of my mind, as currently I was not in the Open.

Sue & Stacey KeatingThe day got off to a great start when I was on the driving range, The Lady Captain, Sue, and her husband from Victoria Golf Club showed up absolutely unexpected! WOW what a nice surprise that was. They were in the area, and thought they would come and see me! Thanks guys!! J

The golf was very steady on the front 9, 8 pars and a birdie, but I felt I had a real lot of chances, and was feeling really good about my ball striking, so hoping to get a couple more on the back. Had a little hiccup on the 15th hole, but bounced back with birdies on 16 and 17 to sign my card for -2, to put me into 15th position. Now the wait… to see who had finished above me, that wasn’t already exempt into the British Open. After people telling me, yes, no, yes, no, I finally got the word that I will be taking the 3rd spot, and playing the British Open. This I had planned to qualify for, but now to know I am in the field is such a great feeling, and as you can probably imagine, I’m a little excited!

Ricoh Women's British Open 2011

So now to get ready for it!

Thanks for following, good golfing.

Cheers

Stacey 🙂 xo

• Comment by Freddy — July 4, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

CONGRATULATIONS STACEY!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go girl. Know you were happy to have your parents with you for a few days. Aren’t parents
    wonderful? We will be following the Women’s British Open very carefully now that we know you will be there!!!!
    We just finished with the Men’s North/South and start the Women’s on
    the 20th of July. A little different this year — invitation only — no qualifier. Will see how it goest next year. One interesting fact
    about the Women’s this year — it will be the first Women’s North/South where a Mother and her daughter will be competing together. The Mother use to by our children’s golf coach many years ago and won the North/South in 1997. I use to babysit her children while she was coaching our son and daughter. Am axious to see how they are seeded. My only regret —– you are not here; however, you are following your dream!!! Keep up the good work and love hearing
    from you,

Freddy

• Comment by Stacey — July 5, 2011 @ 5:59 am

Thankd Freddy!! Yes I am having a blast over here, really enjoying myself!
    Good luck for all at the North and South, I always miss that tournie!
    Lets hope an Aussie can get the title!!
    Love Stace xo

• Comment by judy adcock — July 4, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Hi stace, have just read your update about your last tournament. you are doing so well and we are really proud of you at School house. When is the Open?
    Brian was a Wimbeldon on the second day and had a wonderful time. It is the first time he has been.
    It is the Yorkshire Amateur Men’s here this week on the course, so no golf for us. Son Charles is playing and Brian will be on his bag!!! or trolley as the case maybe.
    Keep well Judexx

• Comment by Beverley B — July 4, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Hi there Stace – sounds like it is all going well – what a thrill to get into the British Open and I will be watching with baited breath!!!
    Go for it girl and enjoy every moment……good wishes….Beverley Bunt, Townsville Qld

• Comment by Stacey — July 5, 2011 @ 6:02 am

Thanks Bev!
    Will be very excited at The Open!!
    Hope all well in Townsville! xo

• Comment by Damo — July 5, 2011 @ 12:06 am

We will be watching with great excitement. Might have alittle wager on you for good luck. I have a bit if a lucky streak punting in the golf. Good luck.
    DG.

• Comment by Stacey — July 5, 2011 @ 6:05 am

Thanks Gnezda!!
    Mmm wonder what my ODD will be!! a good bet Im sure!!
    Surey your due for a holiday over this way!!
    Hope all well and u have a few more Wednesday comps under you belt!
    SK xo

• Comment by Brett Mackie — July 5, 2011 @ 4:01 am

Stacey, that is the best news. Congratulations and keep up the hard work.

• Comment by Stacey — July 5, 2011 @ 6:06 am

Thanks Brett! Very excited!
    Hope all is well at Sanctuary! 🙂

• Comment by Anne McGorrery — July 5, 2011 @ 6:57 am

Wow Stace! What a great tournament, and a much deserved place in the Open! we were excited that Sue was able to catch up with you. Was watching your progress on the computer, and saw on face book about the Open! The whole golf club are really thrilled for you.
    Great golfing,
    Anne

• Comment by Honnie — July 5, 2011 @ 7:35 am

Doing really well Stacey!! Love keeping up via the blog!

• Comment by Sandy Forster — July 5, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Hi Stacey,

We at VGC are all SO proud of you and your recent achievements in qualifying for the British Open. You have worked hard and deserve all of it.
    You are providing me with wonderful information for our August edition of VGC’s Newsletter.

May all your drives be long & straight, and all your putts drop!

Cheers, Sandy

• Comment by Ian, Jayne, Steph & Mitch — July 5, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Absolutely awesome news on making the British Open. It must have been an anxious time waiting for conformation that you were in the field but certainly worth the wait. Well done, good luck and enjoy every momement of it. Ian, Jayne, Steph & Mitch xo

• Comment by frewy — July 5, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

hi stace,
    well done in finland and hope you go well in the british open. It’s great to see you playing well and getting up the the top end of the leaderboard.
    frewy

• Comment by Mark Burger — July 7, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

Stace, Couldn’t be more proud and excited to read each of your blogs as they arrive. Sorry this is much later than this post, but as you would say we’ve been on ‘holiday’. Best wishes for The Open and I will miss you at the North and South, but it looks like we will see Julia. Keep striking it pure!!! Mark Burger

• Comment by Kerrie Curtis — July 8, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

Hi Stace, had a good birthday, so thanks for my message on fb, and very happy to see you are doing so well. Good luck, we are crossing out fingers for you.

• Comment by jeff barnes — July 21, 2011 @ 5:25 pm

Stacey,

It was great to meet you at Hampton Court GC when Darren introduced us and I’m very pleased for you that you have qualified for the Open. Will be watching your progress and wish you the very best of luck.

Jeff

• Comment by Stacey — July 21, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

Thanks heaps Jeff, really looking forward to next week! Great to meet you also.. Hope your playing well! 🙂